Friday Five (The Back-To-School Edition)

My kids went back to school this week and I’ve had some time to think about how this makes me feel:

1) The house is suddenly so quiet. Terribly, terribly quiet. Maybe a little too quiet.

2) I felt bad sending them back to school this year…mostly because we live in the Pacific Northwest and we had an awful summer. I didn’t feel like we had enough sun to warrant the start of school. I feel like I owe them something: popsicles, sunscreen, maybe a trip to the Bahamas.

3) My husband walked in while I was piercing my son’s ears the night before school started. He just shook his head and said, “Most dads are going over football plays with their sons. Me, I’m watching your mom pierce your ears. Nice.”

4) Which brings me to my next point. When did THIS excited little Kindergartner:


Become THIS high school junior?


Seriously, wasn’t it just yesterday that I was cutting the crust off his PB&Js? (Okay, yes, that probably was just yesterday, he’s still a guy, after all…but you get my point.)

5) When my daughter was getting dressed for her first day, she slipped into her skinny jeans and started jumping around yelling: “Yes! I look just like Jack McDonald!”

Umm, not exactly the look I was going for. Jack is our 13-year-old neighbor, who, yes, rocks the skinny jean look, but…well…is a 13-year-old boy.

I was thinking more Rock Diva for my daughter.


Maybe that was the look Jack was going for too.

Anyway, I hope you’re all surviving this back-to-school/end-of-summer season. And I hope you’re rocking your skinny jeans and enjoying a little peace and quiet wherever you can.

Comments

Kristi Faith said…
Yes, they do grow up fast don't they? Ahh, well, beautiful kids, no less. :)
LOVE th pics! Tey are so cute. And yeah, I felt the same way about how fast mine are growing up too!
Robin Reul said…
Great pix, Kim! The house does seem quiet on this end too. Nice to know someone is still cutting the crusts off the PB &J sandwiches still for their teenager - my son is 15 and I'm still doing it too! (Though occasionally we shake it up and it's peanut butter & banana).
Tere Kirkland said…
OMG, she is so cute! I can't believe they make blazers in her size. Totally Rocknroll Princess.

Have fun getting used to the solitude.
DeJa said…
Haha, that's great! I like your sense of humor! And your daughter is so cuute! Haha, I love that quote of hers!